Created by: Guðrún Eydís Jónsdóttir
In this article, you will learn how to publish data to external databases, from exMon.
Actions in exMon DM transfer data from the exMon DM database to another Microsoft SQL Server of your choosing. These Actions can either be added as a button within the exMon DM editing area or automatically executed when you click Save.
Create an Action to transfer data
- Open the table you want to publish in exMon DM
- Then go to the Table Designer
- Click Edit Actions
- Add a new task by selecting the Publish Data to External Database
- Assign the correct name, description and attributes for your new task
- If you have not already created a new connection, go to the Connection drop-down and select Edit Connections
- Fill in the Connection Information and Authentication
- Click Generate Connection String
- Then, click Test Connection to confirm that the connection works
- Authentication can be either; Windows Authentication which uses the credential of the user running exMon, or Username and Password which uses SQL Login as authentication
- After configuring the connection, click Save Connection
- Note: Make sure that your new connection is selected
- Select a connection or create a new connection to the destination Database using the Connections dropdown
- When you have selected a connection, select the destination table for the data. You will need to create the destination table outside of exMon
- After selecting the destination table, you will need to configure which columns in the source table map to which columns in the destination table. This is done under Column Mapping
- If you want to skip a column, select No mapping for that column
- You can add a filter to the source data under "Filter". The syntax there is standard T-SQL. For example WHERE AddressType = 'Premise Address'
- To make sure your filter works as expected use the Preview button
- If you want to execute a script on the destination database before or after the transfer, click the Pre/post execution button and add your script. This can for example be helpful to truncate data before transferring data or to execute a stored procedure after the transfer
- Click Run action if you want to run your action immediately
- Click Save Tasks to save your action
Note: To read more about creating actions in exMon, click here
Guðrún is the author of this solution article.