This part of the exMon walkthrough goes through how a user creates an exMon dimension that creates a connection between a salesperson‘s id and their name. This connection is made with the database Adventureworks.
We want to create our dimension in exMon
- Open exMon Administrator
- On the left side you see a treelist. Expand the node General
- Right click the node that says Dimensions, select New... and then Dimension
- In the popup type Sales Persons
Our dimension interface should now be open, so our next job is to create a SQL query that returns a row for all our salespersons, both their id aswell as their name.
- Select the dataprovider AdventureWorks
- Paste the following SQL query into the textbox
- Run the SQL query either by pressing F5 or clicking the run button
Note that it‘s important that the ID is unique
Next we want to connect the ID and name of the salesperson together. We do this by setting the SalesPersonID column as our business key and FullName column as our business value.
- In the properties window on the right, select SalesPersonID as the business key
- Select FullName as the business value
Now each time our dimension is executed a connection is created between the business key column and the business value column.
Dimension attributes are filters that allow the exMon portal to organize our business keys into a treelist. They are optional, but if you have access to columns such as salesperson‘s store, country or even continent, setting them as attributes can increase the dimension‘s readability a lot.
- In the properties window on the right, select TerritoryGroup as Attribute 1
- Select TerritoryName as Attribute 2
Now the final step before our dimension is in production is to deploy it.
- Press the deploy button
- If Test enviroment is enabled, select the correct deploy enviroment
- Write a comment detailing the changes being deployed
- Make sure to check Sales Person in the popup and press deploy